Skyline women’s team falls to Las Positas

Giselle Mahinay driving the ball forward.

On Wednesday Jan. 24 The Skyline College women’s basketball hosted Las Positas College looking to get back into the win column. This game was also being covered by (BASON) a live and later broadcast network. The women’s team started off quick but sloppish against Las Positas College.

They were playing great team defense by swarming the ball constantly into Las Positas’ offensive passing lanes, forcing early turnovers.  For example, in the first offensive position of the game for Las Positas the ball was stolen by Arraiya Perez and driven to the rim for a quick two.

However despite all the early turnovers, Skyline failed to capitalize on a lot of early opportunities. Besides being able to get a couple of kick out three shots by Keri La and Morgan Vurek. Skyline was moving the ball effectively but had very little to show for it.

Inconsistency and sloppy offense gave up a couple turnovers to lead into scoring for Las Positas in the last moments of the first quarter. At the end of the quarter, Skyline was only up by a few points with a 11 to 5 lead.

In the second quarter, Skyline was starting to take advantage of Las Positas’ sloppy offense and eventually  arrived at a 15 to 7 lead.

After a time, with 7:30 left in the half, Las Positas’ offense woke up by producing a couple of kick out threes by their bench and they started to aggressively pound their way to the basket, catching up to Skyline. In the closing minutes of the half, Skyline was struggling on offense and committing turnovers Las Positas who were starting to catch up to Skyline. At the half, Skyline was just holding on to a 25 to 20 lead.

When asked about the game during that stretch of the half Veronika Akolo said, “We were rushing too much. That caused a lot mistakes.”

In the third quarter Las Positas kept gutting Skyline’s inside defense to the baskets. Skyline maintained good ball moment however they kept failing to finish their inside shots.

Skyline’s offensive woes continue as they could not capitalize on good ball movement. With around 4 minutes left, in the quarter Las Positas caught up to Skyline with a tie 2 pointer shot after trading shots for next couple of offensive shots.

Las Positas took both the lead and advantage of Skyline’s sloppy turnovers with under a minute left in the quarter and gained a 42 to 35 lead over Skyline as they were out scored in the quarter, 22 to 10.

From the beginning of the fourth quarter to halfway, Skyline was starting to get off offensively with good passing to their outside parameter shooters by Shannon Chau and Keri La.

However after the halfway point, the phase of the game got to the Skyline defense and they could not stop Las Positas’ drives to the basket.

Despite a late run produced Anaseine Fakava from those quick off the board shots by Skyline playing the foul game, the deficit was too big to overcome for Skyline as they fell, 67 to 58.

After the game when head coach Chris Watters was asked about his team’s second half performance he said, “The team was experiencing some mental fatigue lead to some physical fatigue and some of mistakes.”

When ask about the game why they could not capitalize on their  offense, Veronika Akolo replied, “It was just a bad shooting night. No pressure, just sometimes shots just don’t fall”.