Filed under Campus News, News

Nicole Harris, ASSC Presidential Candidate

ASSC Senator Nicole Harris. Harris is one of four candidates for the position of ASSC president during the 2014 student government election season. April 30th, 2014.

Nicole Harris, 33- year old communications major, wants to be the next student body president. Harris is the mother of a 14-year old son.

Harris is running her platform on what she calls the “four C’s”: connect, collaborate, contribute, and community.

“I want to connect the students, faculty, and the families. Once everyone is connected, then we can collaborate,” Harris said. “So it’s looking at perspectives, socioeconomic status, how we can help each other move together. You move together as a team. With a team you need a strong leader. After we connect and collaborate, we’re going to contribute”.

“I have a four point platform. My Number one goal is to connect this campus so we can go farther together,” Harris said. “If we collaborate together and work together, then we can have events with bigger turnouts and we can have one mission Instead of having events scheduled on the same day where not a lot of students can be impacted. If we work for one collective good and we put all our energies towards those things then we could be more successful as a college and as students on this campus.”

As a vision, her campaign not only starts on campus but extends outward.

“As a team you need a strong leader. So after we connect and collaborate we’re going to contribute,” Harris said. “We’re not just going to contribute to our own welfare and benefit were going to contribute to the Skyline community, and then we’re going to contribute to the communities outside. And most of all take what we have learned here back to our families”

She feels that not only will current Skyline students benefit from her plan, but also incoming students.

“We want to outreach to those that don’t think that community college is an option for them. We want them to have the ability to access the different programs. When I came to Skyline I got open arms”, Harris said. “I want everyone to experience what I have experienced”.

“If we together as a whole connect with each other, then we collaborate with each other, and then we contribute to our community,” Harris said. “The world is going to be one amazing place and we’re all going to be ready to go forth and move forward together and just be successful. That’s my end goal”.

In closing her remarks, Harris made an election promise.

“By electing me as your leader, I’m helping you realize that the power is in your hands, it is in your choices, it is in your decisions. If you follow the “four C’s” we will build a better community for Skyline College”.