Editor’s Eats: Gialina

Editor’s Eats: Gialina
Photo Courtesy of Gialina.com

2842 Diamond Street
San Francisco, CA 94131
415.239.8500

Tucked away on a corner in the midst of a busy street in Glenn Park, Gialina is the perfect and quaint Italian joint to grab a bite to eat. I found out about Gialina a few months back and have probably been back at least five or six times since. Whether you get your food to go, or eat it there, it will always be amazing.

Gialina serves pizza Italian of course with a very thin crust with unusual toppings. Last Thursday had to have been my most delicious experience. Although, there have been times where I have had to wait ages for a table because of how small the place is, I didn’t have to wait this time. We were seated right away.

I ordered the russet potatoes w/ bacon, red onions, thyme & gorgonzola, ($16) and let me tell you, the thinly sliced potatoes on a pizza were brilliant! I did tweak the toppings a little though, no gorgonzola for me, so it was perfectly satisfying for my taste buds.

Next on the menu was another winner, heirloom tomatoes w/ bacon, arugula, basil & mozzarella. ($20) Honestly, when I first ordered it, I thought the bacon was going to make the pizza amazing, but was I wrong, it was something even better, the heirloom tomatoes. The tomatoes were extremely flavorful. I couldn’t have asked for better flavor because of it.

This is so cliché to say, but last but certainly not least was the Chocolate Hazelnut Dessert Pizza or what I refer to it as, the Nutella pizza. I don’t even know where to start, whether it was the thick layer of Nutella on a nice thick layer of pizza crust, or could it be the mascarpone they strategically place on each slice. Maybe, just maybe I could start with the crushed hazelnut the sprinkle on top. To be real, none of that would do it justice.

Who knows, I could be hyping this up a little too much, but all I can say is go over to this family restaurant and try it yourself. If you are a fan of pizza, of Italian food, or even of food in general, I guarantee you’ll enjoy it, because I have yet to meet one person whose taste buds disagreed with the chef.

(This article headline has been edited because it was the wrong name)