Contraceptives: the choice is yours

Back to Article
Back to Article

Contraceptives: the choice is yours

Many women are nervous about the idea of contraceptives. Luckily, health professionals have your best interest in mind. Too often I hear the woes of friends, “I don’t want to be on birth control because it causes weight gain,” or, “I heard birth control makes you crazy.”

Pregnancy also makes you gain weight and go crazy, with the added stress of a baby.

My responses to these woes often sound like “have you ever visited a reproductive health professional?”

Please know that there’s no need to be frightened when it comes to your reproductive planning, health, and wellness.

Based on research done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, family planning is one of the top 10 public health achievements of the 20th century. Now is the time to be a part of this wonderful and progressive movement geared towards empowering young women.

The debate over contraceptives seems perpetual, especially when clouded by the loud chatter of contrasting religious views, political agendas, experiences shared by others, and the loads of online misinformation. But what is strikingly prevalent amidst this sea of controversy is the significant number of women frightened by the possible side effects of the medication they’re fighting to get.

Thankfully, professionals exist to dismiss these worries. Colleen Krajewski, practicing physician and assistant professor at the University of Pittsburg, works diligently to inform her patients with factual information regarding the various types of contraceptives.

As reported by the New York Times, studies also show more than just the snow has been dropping in Colorado recently. Apparently unplanned pregnancies are plummeting as well, even in the town of Walsenburg, where jobs are scarce and teen pregnancies are usual occurrences.

Greta Klingler, the family planning supervisor at the public health department in Walsenburg, Colorado was astounded to witness the demographics: as reported by the Colorado Department of Public Health, “the birthrate among teenagers across the state plunged by 40 percent from 2009 to 2013, while their rate of abortions fell by 42 percent.”

So what are the benefits of contraceptives? A well-planned life, for one. With the rise of competition in the job market, unintended pregnancies can be burdens on the lives of women who wish to further their educational journey. Progestin-based hormonal implants and IUD’s are becoming more popular, and statistical evidence is proving them to be more effective than the pill or condoms alone.

All of that in mind, remember that to a degree, your journey is something you can be in control of. You can even think of it as your body being your own temple. But remember, “do what you love and love what you do.” Get out there and plan your life because your journey is 110 percent worth it, and one mistake shouldn’t slow you down.