Trojans Wrestling falls to Chabot College

Lucas Cruz double legs his opponent for a two-point takedown at Skyline College against Chabot College on Nov. 8, 2017 Photo credit: Christian Magallanes

The Skylines men’s wrestling team lost to Chabot College on Wednesday Nov. 8 in a vigorous match up.

James Haddon commented before the meet between Chabot College, “It is important that after warm ups you want to feel that you have already wrestle.” The team seemed ready for the night, but Chabot was more refreshed.

The first team’s scoring went to Chabot 125 to 135 weight class due to Skyline having to forfeit because they did not have anybody to compete in that weight class, yet Skyline was able to earn some points due to forfeit. Joshua Aceves was awarded the points for the match that never took place.

Aceves spoke about the forfeit, “It sorta sucks, because you want it be out there you want to compete and win.”

The match for the 157 weight featured Skyline’s Zach Franco and Ryan Peterson of Chabot. Franco attempted one leg take down, however; Peterson was ready for it and turned around on Franco and put him in the cradle him for in. As a result of Peterson got a quick takedown. The match was clocked at 1:21.

Next was the 165 weight class match featuring Trojan’s Christian Shelly. Chabot was the aggressor about half way through the first period and successfully converted a one leg take down scoring Chabot 2 points. From there Shelly struggled as he was being cradled for the pin. At the end of the first period Chabot had the 10-0 advantage. With 5.2 seconds left in the second period the match was declared a technical foul in favor of Chabot due to the huge lead in points.

Following was the 174 weight class featuring Skyline’s Thomas Montserrat. With 35 seconds left in the first Chabot did a two leg takedown on Thomas for two points, but was unable to accomplish anything after that as the period expired. For the opening to the second period the position was deferred so they rested to the mutual standing position and it was a stalemate. During third period, the Chabot athlete took down Montserrat for two points. After the final whistle the officials ruled in favor of Chabot 5 to 1.

Next up was 184 weight class. This match up featured Skyline’s Hugo Plancarte battling it out against Chabot Anthony. Anthony opened up the match with a quick take down and completely gobbled up Hugo and pinned him with a minute left in the period.

The last matchup was between two heavyweights. The match consisted of Skyline’s Luke Cruz. Cruz dominated the entire match as the closing seconds of the first period he two legged took down the Chabot athlete and got four near fall points as time expired. In the last 10 seconds of the the second period Cruz recorded another take down. And got a couple more points for reversal in the third. As a result in the third Cruz gave Skyline their only match win of the night by a technical fall a 10 to 1 decision.

“It felt great especially for tonight, because my family was here tonight,” Cruz responded. “They never really get a chance to see me wrestle, because our meets and tournaments are usually up north. It is a great feeling felt to win in front of them.”