Suncin drums his way to his future

Drummer Nick Suncin.
By JJ Valdez/The Skyline View
Drummer Nick Suncin.

Fully equipped with a 6-piece Tama Starclassic Performer and a few Zildjian cymbals, Nick Suncin with a pair of his drumsticks can beat the music from a hobby to a career.

Suncin is more than music major here at Skyline, he’s a music lover, and he’s also a drummer with years of rhythm chipped away from his drumsticks.

Suncin is a student at Skyline in his early 20s and has been drumming for the past nine years. Nick has recently joined a local band called The Hounds of Innsmouth over the summer in which he and his band mates co-write the songs.

“A favorite work of mine we’ve written is ‘Stoneskull’,” said Suncin. “It displays intense brutality in a melodic way.”

Nick talks about music in a way that only true music lovers would.

“I love music’s freedom of expression and direct effect on our emotions.” said Suncin.

This passion is very relevant to Suncin’s life. The way a song is written or interpreted seems to have an effect on emotions or feelings. Nick describes that perfectly. It’s obvious that he loves what he does and wants to continue to do.

“I see music as more than a hobby. It’s my passion and I aim to make music my profession,” said Suncin.
Hobbies can always turn into professions, and Nick knows exactly that. He knows that you can love your job, and you better believe that he is bound to do just that.

Performing is important to Suncin and he made it clear he would love to do it for the rest of his life. But that’s not all he wants to do.

Nick wants to take his talents and help others. He is on his second year studying Music Theory and Musicianship. The musicianship notably takes part in his daily life.

“I also want to use my training to educate those who seek it,” says Suncin.

The combination of Suncin majoring in music and his obvious passion for the art proves he can accomplish his goals of helping others by teaching them how to drum, or even read music. If your heart is in the music, just the way Nick’s is, it is more than possible to make that dream a reality.