How to do San Francisco cheaply

Sometimes the only time San Francisco locals get to see the sights is when out-of-town guests stop by for a visit. One of the reasons for this is that we know how much a day in The City can cost. Nevertheless, a fun-filled day in the city by the bay does not have to cost you your first-born child—cheaply is the best way.

One of the best tips to tell tourists and locals alike is to ride MUNI’s F-line. This streetcar line runs all the way from the Castro through Fisherman’s Wharf and you can ride the entire route and back again for only $2. You can catch this line almost anywhere on Market Street from the center median. Just remember to grab a transfer (they are free).

The best part about this streetcar line is that these streetcars are all antique and from all over the world. These historic streetcars come from almost every continent, for example, Japan, Portugal, Italy and Australia, all contribute to the collection, but the most entertaining streetcar by far was made in Blackpool, England in 1934.

MUNI only puts the “Blackpool Car” in service on rare sunny days in San Francisco; the reason for this is that this streetcar does not have a top to it. Catching this rare streetcar on a sunny day is like winning the lottery for San Francisco MUNI riders, but now that you know the secret, you can get in on the fun as well.

While other tourists pay top dollar to buy a seat on one of the many tourists buses that have to fight through traffic jams, you will pay only $2 to ride a, mostly, traffic free ride that will take you past many of the sights that tourists are clamoring to see.

The best thing about the F-line versus a tour bus is that as long as you hold on to your transfer, you can get off whenever you want. You just have to keep an eye on the time allotted to you on your transfer ticket (It’s normally 90 minutes).

Now you have no excuse not to go act like a tourist is The City. Just hop on BART and get off on any of the Market Street stops, walk upstairs and catch your poor-man’s tour bus. Where you stop is up to you, just do us all a favor, and do not buy one of those Alcatraz t-shirts. The F-line runs about one every 7 minutes on weekdays, and every 15 minutes on weekends.