Filed under Men's Soccer, Soccer, Sports

Trojans keep playoff hopes alive

Saul+Lopez+beats+Evergreen+Goalie+Nick+Williams+to+score+the+game+winning+goal+on+Nov.+8.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Trojans keep playoff hopes alive

Saul Lopez beats Evergreen Goalie Nick Williams to score the game winning goal on Nov. 8.

Kevin Perez/Skyline College

Kevin Perez/Skyline College

Kevin Perez/Skyline College

Skyline College keeps their playoff hopes alive with a win in their home closer.

Skyline squeezed out a 2-1 victory against Evergreen Valley college after a goal in the end of extra time on Nov. 8. In what was a physical game, Skyline’s defense held strong eventually giving Saul Lopez an opportunity to net the game winner.

“To be honest I don’t even remember,” Lopez said. “I just react at that moment. I feel amazing because we wanted a chance to be in the playoffs.”

The game started off fast for Skyline as they showed that they could take the top off defenses with long passes down the field. Eventually Maynor Moncada broke the scoreboard by dribbling down the field and shooting just outside of the box.

The game had a flip of momentum entering the second half as Evergreen Valley began to gain possession of the ball. Skyline had given up their one goal lead early after goalie James Brignoli mishandled a save, allowing the ball to bounce off the ground and creep past the line.

But Skyline stayed poised and true to their game plan. Brignoli stayed vocal and directed the teams defense keeping the score even before Lopez’s game winning goal.

“We all were communicating very well throughout the match,” Brignoli said. “But on top of that we played very physically, while being smart about it.”

With the playoffs within reach, Skyline has a chance to make noise with their young team and bring momentum into the next year. The team’s ability to grind out close games has been the theme all season. Nine out of the 19 games for Skyline this season has been decided by one point, while four games have ended in ties.

“This team’s been resilient all year,” coach Saucedo said. “It’s in their character. They fight for everything. They don’t quit. They know we have a lot of firepower and we can come back at anybody.”

With the win Skyline is one step closer to securing the final spot in the regional playoffs. Skyline’s playoff hopes rest in their hands as they must win out in their final game of the season at Monterey college.