Filed under District News, News

Voters grant funds to update campuses

Voters+cast+ballots+at+Cerritos+Elementary+school+in+South+San+Francisco+in+this+years+midterm+elections+on+Nov.+4.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Voters grant funds to update campuses

Voters cast ballots at Cerritos Elementary school in South San Francisco in this years midterm elections on Nov. 4.

Julianna Leon/The Skyline View

Julianna Leon/The Skyline View

Julianna Leon/The Skyline View

With substantial turnout and beneficial results for the college district, local voters headed to the polls to pass the $388 million bond measure with 65.4 percent, according to the San Mateo County Elections Office.

Measure H, the $388 million bond measure for the school district, increases debt by raising bonds for public works. In this case, the funding will go towards SMCCD’s goal to modernize math and science labs; upgrade training facilities and ensuring that aging infrastructure safety standards and requirements are up to par, and that the campuses are prepared for earthquakes and other natural disasters.

The passing of the bond is the beginning for potential alterations to begin, allowing students to get more sophisticated and optimum technological training, and to support them in their future educational and career endeavors and prepare students for high demand jobs by increasing the quality of local community colleges.

“Measure H shows how people are taking part in developing future education and more money towards academics can never go wrong,” student Justin Labrado said.

The bond measure brings community colleges to the forefront of people’s minds, inciting a vast majority of first time voters on campus, since it affects students directly.

Skyline students react to outcomes regarding modernizing the campus and the polemic caused by republicans seizing the senate:

“Progress has been unsubstantial already because of republican sabotage,” student Steven Danz said, “so get ready for nothing to get done in the next 2 years.”

“It is a giant opportunity for students to be in an environment that reinforces the technologically dominated society that we live in today; especially when we are living in the technological capital of the world,” student Daniel del Castillo said.

The bond measure that will result in significant improvements remains in contrast to the November 2011 ballot with the same aim to modernize community colleges through funding of $564 bond measure that proved insufficient with only 45 percent of the vote.

Update: a photo was added to the article. 12:21 p.m. 11/6/2014.