Filed under Features, Focal Point

Make your morning smoother

Matcha+smoothies+are+great+alternatives+to+coffee+for+those+looking+for+a+boost+of+energy+without+the+crash.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Make your morning smoother

Matcha smoothies are great alternatives to coffee for those looking for a boost of energy without the crash.

Andrew Avilla/The Skyline View

Andrew Avilla/The Skyline View

Andrew Avilla/The Skyline View

Getting up and ready to be on time for class can be rough. What can be even harder is fitting in the time to prepare a healthy and appetizing breakfast while rushing to make it to school.

Of course, there is always coffee and a pastry a student might be able to grab on the way to class. However, it is inevitable that the student will end up crashing shortly after eating, keeping in mind the amount of caffeine and sugar that one can intake from a to-go breakfast like that.

One way to beat the crash, and the clock, is something everyone already knows about: smoothies. It takes all of five minutes to gather the ingredients, throw them in a blender, and hit the button. Voila, breakfast! It’s even to-go if it goes from the blender straight into a reusable cup.

Michelle’s Matcha Meal

1 teaspoon matcha powder
1 banana
1/2 cup milk (almond, soy, coconut, etc.)
1 cup raw oatmeal
1 cup ice

This recipe can be altered to preference. Try additional fruits like blueberries and strawberries for enhanced sweetness. For extra texture, try adding seeds like chia or flax.

So now the question is, why a matcha smoothie? Actually, the question before that is, what is matcha? Matcha is a green tea that has been ground down into a fine powder. It might sound weird, and it kind of is, but it is also filled with health benefits.

Green tea leaves alone are known for caffeine and antioxidants that are great for the skin and metabolism. So, because matcha is ground up green tea leaves, the consumer is getting in the entire leaf, as opposed to straining full green tea leaves and only drinking the water that comes from the process. By consuming matcha, the caffeine and antioxidant intake is amplified, and it is an excellent way to start the day while keeping in mind one’s metabolism.

Try looking for matcha at any tea store or Asian market. The only downside of matcha is that it is a bit on the pricey side. One way to remedy a hurting wallet is to see a matcha purchase as a health benefit, not just tea that costs more than all the other green teas.

Now that the mystery of matcha has been revealed, it is time to end the awkward stomach rumbles students hear during morning classes. As cliche as it is, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Doesn’t it feel great to not miss that meal?