Filed under Features

Navy Captain Shackletion on campus

Newly+promoted+Captain+Scott+Shackletion+and+assistant+engineering+dean+at+U.C+Berkeley+speaking+to+a+student+after+his+speech.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Navy Captain Shackletion on campus

Newly promoted Captain Scott Shackletion and assistant engineering dean at U.C Berkeley speaking to a student after his speech.

Photo by Will Nacouzi/The Skyline View

Photo by Will Nacouzi/The Skyline View

Photo by Will Nacouzi/The Skyline View

Newly promoted assistant engineering dean at U.C Berkeley Capt. Scott Shackletion was present here at Skyline College as part of the campus Earth Week.

Capt. Scott is a descendent (fifth cousin removed) of Erest Henry Shackletion and since his youth, he’s grown up with stories of Shackletion and his effects in the Antarctica which inspired him to join the navy.

It took him 20 years to get where he was; to be able to join the United States Antarctic Program and be the first Shackletion to return to the Antarctica after almost a century of absence from the white-washed continent. The experience was a fun and educating experience as he learnt what it meant to live there despite it been there only for half an hour.

The capt. during the lecture spoke of the history of the Antarctica and its exploration by individuals such as Sir Robert Falcon Scott, with his ill fated expedition. Sir Erest Henry Shackletion journeyed on the Endurance Expedition, which almost ended in failure after the Endurance was frozen in ice and lead to them spending a year on the ice before they finally made it back to South Georgia Island without any loss of life.

In addition to these, he talked of the United States presence at Antarctica and its Antarctic Program, where he is responsible for ensuring that supplies are delivered during the summer in Antarctica (which lasts from September to early March) from Christchurch, New Zealand, and making sure that they are delivered on time.

He also discussed life on the white continent for the military, scientists, and civilians who call the continent home and that all waste is gathered and stored in warehouses, in order to keep the stations there clean and green.

In addition, he talked about the US Navy annual supply missions, where all the ships are expected to run on time due to the limited months available.

“I learnt a lot about how global warming is effecting the Antarctic,” Skyline student David Cuadra said.

Towards the end of the lecture, Captain Shackletion begin to talk about the effects of global warming on the continent. This includes: the threat toward the emperor penguins program, the threat of rising waters as the ice melts, and the role that the ice plays in reflecting the sunlight into space keeping the Earth cooler.

“I think that it really turned out good, it was really interesting a lot of people were engaged in it (the lecture),” Skyline College student Kristen Huie said.

The lecture event proved popular as the room was filled with students both seating and standing to listen to the captain speak about the Antarctic.

“I think that giving us statics gave me a good view on how global warming is effecting the antarctic,” Skyline College student Elaine Cau said.

About the Writer
Will Nacouzi, TSV Web Designer

Hey :D I’m a student at Skyline College majoring in journalism with a heavy interest in news writing, investigative journalism, and photojournalism.

I’m...