Filed under Campus News, News

Yanni Guo, ASSC Presidential Candidate

Yanni Guo, Treasurer of the Skyline College Veterans Club. Guo is one of four candidates for the position of ASSC president during the 2014 student government election season. April 30th, 2014.

Yanni Guo, an 18-year-old Media Studies/Psychology student wants to be Skyline College’s next ASSC president.
“I can help the entire student population reach their goals more efficiently than they already are regardless of their demographic.

Essentially, I want to make every student’s vision possible while making choices that affect the entire campus in a positive way.” Guo said via email.

Guo is preparing to listen to the campus concerns as they arrive, as well as take care of existing concerns that carry over.

“As president, I would hope to address any campus issues that come up throughout the year as well as existing ones from this year that have not yet been solved.”

With experience on campus with a variety of club membership and programs, Guo has insight into how the political systems work and how to work within the systems.

“I have the ability to help inspire larger and more diverse population of students while simultaneously representing and motivating them to do their own personal best! “ Gou said. It helps that Guo has been a senator of the ASSC Student Senate. She has been part of the political process of Skyline student government and knows the issues that have been solved and can use that experience to help solve any issues that arise.

In addition to being a senator, Guo has been the chair of the ASSC Food Committee and is the treasurer of the Skyline College Veterans Club.

Time management skills are important for students when they have classes, jobs, and club memberships. Guo is no different; however, she seems to enjoy being active on the Skyline campus and involved in a host of activities. In between taking her classes, Guo also finds the time to be an active member of the Phi Theta Kappa society, Model United Nations, and TRiO.

On another note, Guo has musical skills. She has previously played the bass in Skyline’s music department, playing in the concert band led by Dr. Zachary Bruno.

All of that student club experience has provided Guo with a diverse skill set that would help her lead the Skyline student body as ASSC president. Not just any president, but Guo says that her experience will allow her
“to be one of the best presidents Skyline College has seen.”

The vision that Yanni Guo has as student body president is not to implement her own ideas, but “to give students the opportunity to express and carry out their visions and ideas through myself.”