Filed under Games, Reviews

Bungie changes the future of games with “Destiny”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Screenshot WIll Nacouzi/The Skyline View

Heralded as the next evolution of console role playing games, does “Destiny” deliver everything that it promised prior to its release?

To put it bluntly, yes. “Destiny,” the latest console release from veteran developer Bungie, most definitely delivers on everything that was promised, and then some.

The game itself is an amalgamation of various game genres. One part first person shooter, one part role playing game and one part massive multiplayer online role playing game. So if you take existing games like “Halo,” “Elder Scrolls: Skyrim,” “Borderlands” and “World of Warcraft” and combined all of them, you would get “Destiny.” While there are a few obvious issues with a game of this size, for the most part, “Destiny” is one of the best games I have ever played.

Throughout Destiny you accumulate items, everything from weapons to armor, and it is these items that make the Destiny experience such an interesting one. In most RPG titles armor and weapons are very straight forward: You find a weapon that you like, you use it until you find a better one, and you continue this cycle until you beat the game. The same goes for armor.

Yes you can usually make some adjustments to these items as you play, but for the most part you’re stuck with a very standard item set unless you find something better. This is not the case with “Destiny.” As you move through the game you find items of varying rarities, ranging from the boring commons up to the extraordinarily hard to find legendary and exotic types.

The higher the rarity of the item, the more the item will level up with you. For example, if you have a rare scout rifle (a single shot weapon with good range and stability) you will have the opportunity to level the gun up at least six to nine times depending on the model that you are using. Use it long enough and you will, most likely, be able to increase the weapon’s power along with the magazine size and the reload speed. And this is just one example.

One of the most interesting, and exciting, aspects of the game comes after players have made it through the story missions of the game. Don’t be alarmed, but the story missions themselves are rather lackluster, and clock in a little under six hours in total gameplay time.

The real fun begins after the story missions. Daily heroic missions, weekly strike missions, strike playlists, weekly knight fall missions, and crucible challenges. All of these are designed to level your character up beyond the soft cap of level 20, finding you better legendary armor and weapons, and preparing you for the multitudes of new mission types that Bungie has already promised the players of its newest title. All in all, Destiny is one of the most auspicious titles ever created, and so far the future looks like a good place when it comes to this new title.